The two parishes were separated in the 12th century when William the Lion, King of Scots, gave a large grant of the lands of Culter, around 8,500 acres, which were south of the River Dee to the Knights Templar.
The Order of the Knights Templar was created to protect pilgrims on their way to the Holy Land. The Knights made a distinctive sight in their white cloaks decorated with the scarlet cross of the Order.
Godfrey Wedderburn was a native of the parish of Maryculter, his father having settled there after holding high office in the household of the Pope. The Templars were frequent visitors at Wedderburn's house, and there, from his earliest years, the young man's soul had been thrilled by tales of the dangers faced, and the matchless valour displayed by the soldiers of the Temple in the Holy Land.
1548 Menzies family become tenants at Maryculter
1618 John Menzies buys the Lands of Maryculter. The main part of Maryculter House is built.
1811 The Lands of Maryculter are bought by General Hon. William Gordon of Fyvie (b. 1736) , a son of the second Earl of Aberdeen. He dies 25 May 1816.
Estate 1816 The estate was taken over by his son William Gordon. He was the illegitimate son of William Gordon and his housekeeper
1839 William Gordon sells the greater part of the estate (becoming Altries).
This is " The lands of Ashentillies, Bogfon, Muirskie, Cockley, Standing Stanes, Hillbrae, Burnside, East and West Sides, Crynoch, with the Miln and Miln Croft of Crynoch, Wettshaw, the lands of Stobhall, excepting those parts thereof formerly occupied by James Reid, the lands of Gateside, Parkhead, and Donald's Garth Fishing of Maryculter, together with the teinds and haill pertinents and privileges."
He takes the Maryculter house bell with him to Fyvie when he leaves!. He dies 9 Jan 1847.
1847 Captain William Cosmo Gordon becomes the Laird. He dies 18 Dec 1879 with no heir so the Estate passes to his second brother
1879 Captain Alexander Henry Gordon of the Indian Navy takes control. He dies in 1884. He married Catherine Douglas but dies without issue.
1884 He is succeeded by Sir Maurice Duff Gordon ( born 1849 died 5 May 1896. He puts Fyvie Castle up for sale in 1886. It is sold for £275,000. Duncecht estate solf for £210,000. Other Scottish estates remain unsold. He was declared bankrupt in 1895.
His daughter was Caroline Lucie Duff Gordon (b1874- 27 November 1964)
The estate passes to Cosmo Edmund Duff-Gordon (b July 1862). He was a fencer and won a silver medal for epee at the 1906 Athens Olympics. He was aboard the Titanic. He was one of only 12 survivors who were in lifeboat number 1. The boat had a capacity for 40. He became “quite reclusive” according to his great nephew. He died aged 68 on April 20 1931 leaving an estate of £20,452
The Maryculter estate is broken up as the Gordon family move out. – Scout Association buys Templars Park.
1836 Maryculter House is bought by Captain Guy Innes of Clinterty
This estate, which originally formed part of the lands belonging to the Knights Templars of Maryculter, was the property of John Menzies of Pitfodels at the beginning of the present century, when it passed to the Gordon family. It was afterwards acquired by the trustees of James Kinloch, of Jermyn Street, St, James's, London, by dis- position, dated 31st December, 1839.