This estate, which originally formed part of the lands belonging to the Knights Templars of Maryculter, was the property of John Menzies of Pitfodels at the beginning of the present century, when it passed to the Gordon family. It was afterwards acquired by the trustees of James Kinloch, of Jermyn Street, St, James's, London, by dis- position, dated 31st December, 1839.
The Maryculter lands included in the dis- position are thus enumerated : —" The lands of Ashentillies, Bogfon, Muirskie, Cockley, Standing Stanes, Hillbrae, Burnside, East and West Sides, Crynoch, with the Miln and Miln Croft of Crynoch, Wettshaw, the lands of Stobhall, excepting those parts thereof formerly occupied by James Reid, the lands of Gateside, Parkhead, and Donald's Garth Fishing of Maryculter, together with the teinds and haill pertinents and privileges." Mr. James Kinloch's trustees thereafter granted a deed of entail of the estates of Park and the above portions of Maryculter (now commonly known as the estate of Altries) in favour of the late Alexander John Kinloch, and the substitute heirs of entail therein mentioned. When the entail was subsequently reduced, Park was sold, but Altries is still held by the representatives of the late Mr. Kinloch. The name Altries does not occur in any of the title deeds of the estate, but when the mansion house was built, soon after the lands were acquired, it was called the House of Altries, and is believed to have been so named from the lordship of Altrie, part of the Pitfour estate in Buchan, of which Mr. James Kinloch at one time held a portion as a qualification for a freehold vote in Aberdeenshire. The mansion house and estate form a compact and desirable property.