Created: 15 June 2014
In 1922 the Crombie family owners of Culter Estate donated the site used then as a builders yard on North Deeside Road to the ex-servicemen of Peterculter so a Recreation Hall could be built for them after returning from the first world war. A group of ex-servicemen including the local schoolmaster, doctor, customs officer, plumber, farmer, the manager of Culter Paper Mill and others agreed to form a committee and act as trustees and work commenced.
Blasting of rock was carried out for levelling purposes until neighbours complained of flying rocks and this work had to cease. The result of this can be seen to this day because the hall was erected eventually so as to protrude quite an appreciable distance to the front of the building line of the adjoining properties.
A wooden building used as part of an army camp at Bucksburn was offered and the difficult task of dismantling it transporting it to Culter and reassembling it was done. The "Culter Recreation and Ex-servicemen's Club" opened it doors offering the men somewhere to meet, play billiards, cards and dominoes.
Dances and concerts where held and parties for the children. Roller Skating was started and Culter had a very successful roller hockey team.
In 1947 it was felt that the administration of the hall should not be restricted to exservicemen a constitution was adopted and Culter and District Community Association was formed a charitable and voluntary organisation to operate Culter Village Hall which now was owned by all residents of Peterculter.
In 1954 the building at the rear of the Hall was built at a cost of £540 to house two full size billiard tables and for many years was well used by the male residents of Culter but sadly billiards and snooker became unpopular and the tables were sold in 1971.This room was later occupied by the playgroup.
In the 50's there were three dramatic groups in the village all staging plays in the hall and it is noted that considerable financial support was given to the hall from these groups.
Also in the 50's movies came to the village The Glenn Cinema showed the latest films on a Thursday and Saturday evenings and for the children a show on a Saturday morning. The projection box can still be seen at the rear of the main hall. Sadly these ceased in 1961 and the hall faced a dramatic drop in income. Then bingo started on a Thursday and Saturday evening records show over 300 people attending in the early 70's.There were also the weekly "Roups" auction sales held firstly by Mr Adams then the Leslie family that were very popular with all who attended and was a valuable source of income to the hall.
1986 saw the hall change dramatically. The committee worked hard to gain a capital grant to refurbish the toilets build a store room and link corridor to the Playgroup room add an additional toilet to the playgroup and build a new lounge area and disabled toilet at a total cost of £130,000 To receive the grant 25% of that total had to be raised by the hall committee and hall user groups.
In 1997 it became obvious that the roof fitted with asbestos corrugated sheets was in serious need of repair at a cost of £50,000 and the committee applied for a lottery grant and received £25,000 the balance was once again raised within our community. On any day up to 100 residents will use the hall.
Culter Village Hall remains the heart of our community as it has since 1922. Culter Village Hall is a registered charity it is totally self-financing and receives no help financially or otherwise from any Local Authority.